One time, someone assumed I was Mexican because I am Hispanic and have a Hispanic name and I speak Spanish. They started talking to me in a stereotypical way with popular Mexican words and asked me if I liked tacos. I told them that I am not Mexican and that Hispanics come from many different countries each with distinct cultures, food and ways of speaking. I didn't get angry, It just made me realize how ignorance can make people make big assumptions with minor things.
Today in class we watched a Ted Talk about a Hispanic girl in school who suffered from stereotypes and how she's overcome them. We then filled a chart about positive, neutral, and negative stereotypes of distinct cultures, ethnicities, races, and groups.
From the Ted Talk I realized how many Hispanics in school suffer from stereotypes placed on them by classmates or teachers. Filling in the chart about the stereotypes also allowed me to think deeper and reflect on stereotypes from all cultures and groups and why they are harmful and inaccurate.
No comments:
Post a Comment