Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Think about the different people, cultures, experiences, communities, interests, and traditions that have shaped who you are. What parts of your identity have had the greatest influence on the person you are today? Have you ever felt pressure to change, hide, or emphasize a part of yourself in order to fit in?

 The parts of my identity that have influenced me the most are my family, my experiences, and the different communities I have been part of. Moving to a new country and starting over again taught me how to adapt to different environments and be comfortable being uncomfortable. It has taught me to adapt to unfamiliar situations and be more independent. My family has also influenced in the traditions we share and the values I live by. I have sometimes felt pressure to change part of myself to fit into different groups or be accepted but overtime, I've learned that I do not have to change myself or the things I do to fit in and that being comfortable with myself is far more important.

Today in class we went over a poem about a Korean girl who wanted to be white to fit in by at the end of the poem shares how she really doesn't and shes actually proud of her heritage.

I learned about how the people that surround us can sometimes add pressure specially to fit in if you're part of a minority and a takeaway I took from this lesson is to be proud of your culture and heritage and don't try to be something you are not.

No comments:

Post a Comment