Thursday, August 20, 2026

Take a clear picture of your “I, Too” poem and post it to your blog. To upload the picture, click the image icon within the blog post, and it will allow you to upload your photo.


 The inspiration behind my poem, "I too am humble" stems from growing up between two distinct cultures. When trying to relate with other Venezuelans, I'd get told "You are not Venezuelan, you didn't grow up there" or "You don't know what we've gone through". My mother is from Venezuela, and even though I wasn't born there, I know what is was like living there because I lived there for two years. I know what power suddenly going out a Monday afternoon and it not coming back till Sunday morning feels like. I know what going to the supermarket and seeing empty aisles of just about anything except rice and flour was like. That's why I wrote this poem. To express that I too, despite not being born there, know what living in Venezuela under Maduro's dictatorship is like.

Today in class we shared our "I too" poems and our inspiration behind the poems. Then we worked on our blog posts for the day.

Writing my poem wasn't as hard as I expected it to be. As I started writing, I would keep writing without even thinking about it and it made sense. The rhymes just flowed into my mind and I wrote them without thinking much about it. The hard part was making it at least four stanzas. As I finished the second one, I started to run out of ideas for the third stanza and had to improvise and think more about what to write instead of just flowing like I was before.


No comments:

Post a Comment